Legends and next generations continue to gather in the House Of Strombo.
Spiritualized’s leader Jason Pierce sits down on the back porch of George’s home in Topanga Canyon to discuss what he thought would be their final album, And Nothing Hurt. It was a six-year journey for the king of controlled chaos to create the record, breaking himself down through the sonic exploration. In conversation with Strombo, he details his recording techniques, the value in patience, the life within records, learning one’s limitations and if it is the end for Spiritualized.
Snotty Nose Rez Kids are a force from the Haisla Nation of the Haisla kala speaking people that earned the short list at this year’s Polaris Music Prize for their relevant record, The Average Savage. They are one of Strombo’s favourite voices today. Earlier this season, The Rez Kids joined Jeremy Dutcher and Partner for a Polaris Artists Cauldron. In their return to the House, they go in on their Eminem appreciation, their work with Tiny House Warriors, suicide, their anti-pipeline anthem and they’ll unravel their Offset cover with DJ Kookum.
The Weather Station crafted a statement with her self-titled and self-produced record. One that cements her position amongst the best singer-songwriters in the country. She’s joined us before to cover Neil Young, collaborate with Bernice to cover Joni Mitchell and performed on last year’s A Very Special Strombo Holiday Special alongside Hannah Georgas and Luke LaLonde of Born Ruffians. With her incredible band, Tamara Lindeman returns to the House Of Strombo. This time, with her own songs to tell her own story.
We’ll exclusively premiere new music from Man Meets Bear and Twist. In the spirit of the year-end perspective, we’ll revisit some of the best covers that have been performed in the House Of Strombo, including Charles Bradley‘s powerful Neil Young rendition, Spoon‘s David Bowie reimagination, Jeremy Dutcher‘s delicate approach to Joni Mitchell, Kate Tempest‘s take on Bob Dylan and many more.
Tell your friends that we are the spirit of radio.
- Otis Redding, “Try A Little Tenderness (Take One)”
- Otis Redding, “I’ve Got Dreams To Remember”
- Sydanie, “error 404”
- Anemone, “She’s The One”
- Just John x Dom Dias, “Soundboi”
- Witch Prophet, “Indigo”
- The Hollies, “The Air That I Breathe”
- Radiohead, “Creep”
- The Weather Station, “You And I (On The Other Side Of The World) (Strombo Sessions)”
- The Weather Station, “Now (Dion Cover) (Strombo Sessions)”
- The Weather Station, “Power (Strombo Sessions)”
- Marine Dreams, “Sunny Starry Moon”
- The Constantines, “Young Lions”
- Deadmau5, “Drama Free (Ft. LIGHTS)”
- The Cars, “Moving In Stereo”
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids, “Forever Sick (Strombo Sessions)”
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids, “The Warriors (Strombo Sessions)”
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids, “Clash Of The Clans (Strombo Sessions)”
- Snotty Nose Rez Kids, “Ric Flair Drip (Offset Cover) (Strombo Sessions)”
- The Cure, “Fascination Street”
- Barbara Mason, “Yes I’m Ready”
- Buzzcocks, “Ever Fallen In Love”
- Anderson .Paak, “Tints (Ft. Kendrick Lamar)”
- Man Meets Bear, “Crimson Trail”
- The Holygrypth, “Stepping Off”
- TWIST, “Distancing”
- Nine Inch Nails, “Ringfinger”
- Nirvana, “Heart Shaped Box”
- Violent Femmes, “Add It Up”
- The Cult, “The Witch”
- Tom Waits, “Just Another Sucker On The Vine (Instrumental)”
- Broken Social Scene, “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up (Tom Waits Cover)”
- Doug And The Slugs, “Making It Work”
- Spiritualized, “Perfect Miracle”
- Spiritualized, “I’m Your Man”
- Spiritualized, “Sail On Through”
- Bob Dylan, “Wigwam (Instrumental)”
- Kate Tempest, "It's Alright Ma (Bob Dylan Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Barr Brothers, "Moonshine (Bob Dylan Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Belle Game, "It Ain't Me Babe (Joan Baez Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Leif Vollebekk, "This Woman's Work (Kate Bush Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Ellevator, "Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Scott Weiland, "Jean Genie (David Bowie Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Spoon, "I Can't Give Everything Away (David Bowie Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Mac Demarco, "Unknown Legend (Neil Young Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Charles Bradley, "Heart Of Gold (Neil Young Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Jeremy Dutcher, "Cherokee Louise (Joni Mitchell Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Harrison + Friends, “Poets (The Tragically Hip Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- Hey Rosetta!, “Stay / Now For Plan A (The Tragically Hip Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"
- La Force, "Another World (Antony and the Johnsons Cover) (Strombo Sessions)"