This Sunday night is for music lovers.
Broken Social Scene, joined by Feist and Jason Collett, celebrate and tease new music and revisit some of their biggest songs in the House Of Strombo. An institution in Canadian music, Social Scene reunited with the album “Hug Of Thunder” in 2017 and have been bringing their show around the world since. We have previously welcomed members’ other projects — including Do Make Say Think, Kandle, La Force and Stars — but this time, they all come together in one of our most triumphant sessions.
Chastity is Brandon Williams from Whitby, Ontario and his album “Death Lust” is one that George declared, “gives me hope.” Brandon is a devout DIY mind, creating art and concert series in his hometown to build a community and through his songs, he challenges the systemic racism that hometown breathes. In an exclusive reveal of his stringed quartet arrangement, Williams unravels haunting renditions of his songs.
Nikita Austin feels music with her body through vibration, whether it is the piano, the steel drum or the flute. As a student of the Regent Park School of Music, a non-profit community school, she has honed her craft to fight against her consistent loss of hearing. She visits the House to bang the drum and chat with George about her absolute passion for music.
We’ll also welcome our friend Ben Kowalewicz of Billy Talent to reminisce about the legendary Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks and their first American tour, supporting the punk heroes. And you might know her from our HIP30 and JONI75 specials, the wonderful Charlotte Cornfield reveals her new song for you.
Tell your friends that we are the spirit of radio.
- Trent Shelton, “New Year, New You”
- Johnny Cash, “Folsom Prison Blues (Live)”
- Johnny Cash, “25 Minutes to Go (Live)”
- Murray Lightburn, “Belleville Blues”
- Bonjay, “Ingenue”
- Hannah Georgas, “No Need To Argue (The Cranberries Cover) (Ft. Lucius)”
- Ex:Re, “Where The Time Went”
- Chastity, “Come (Strombo Sessions)”
- Chastity, “Peroxide (Strombo Sessions)”
- Chastity, “You Are My Sunshine (Strombo Sessions)”
- Straight Truth, “POW”
- Protest The Hero, “Tidal?
- Jim Morrison, “The Movie”
- Temple of The Dog, “Say Hello 2 Heaven”
- Soundgarden, “Loud Love”
- Jeff Buckley, “Lover you Should've Come Over”
- Noname, “Song 31 (Ft. Phoelix)”
- Notifi, “Wave”
- Clairmont The Second, “GRIP”
- Charlotte Cornfield, “Andrew”
- Kinnie Starr, “Feed The Fire”
- Tommy Genesis, “Tommy”
- Nikita Austin, “Volcano (Jimmy Buffett Cover)”
- Led Zeppelin, “When The Levee Breaks”
- Tom Waits, “Going Down Slow”
- Donny Hathaway, “Giving Up”
- Tracy Nelson, “Down So Low”
- Bette Davis, “Git In There”
- The Police, “So Lonely”
- La Force, “The Tide”
- Broken Social Scene, “Cause = Time (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “Can’t Find My Heart (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “1972 (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “I’ll Bring The Sun (Jason Collett Cover) (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “TBT (La Force Cover) (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “Lover’s Spit (Strombo Sessions)”
- Broken Social Scene, “Ibi Dreams Of Pavement (Strombo Sessions)”
- Deadmau5, “Drama Free (Ft. Lights)”
- Gentlemen’s Club, “Keep It Simple”
- Rezz, “Flying Octopus”
- Leucrocuta, “When All The Animals Are Dead”
- Buzzcocks, “Ever Fallen’ in Love”
- Metallica, “Trapped Under Ice”
- Pink Floyd, “The Gnome”
- Motley Crue, “Home Sweet Home”
- Def Leppard, “Foolin’”
- Cat Power, “Wanderer”
- Angel Olsen, “Endless Road”